I look up at your macro-skies, dark and enormous,
Your handmade sky-jewelry,
Moon and stars mounted in their settings.
Then I look at my micro-self and wonder,
Why do you bother with us?
Why take a second look our way?
[Psalms 8:3-4; MSG]
I stroll down memory lane about 16 years ago. It was about 2 a.m. As the wind blew fiercely through the window and I felt little drops of water on my skin, I jumped out of my bed and headed for the room opposite. I walked into the room and a smile lit my face as I realized that the wind and rain had not affected this room. Everything was intact. I shut the windows incase the wind decided to change direction while I was asleep. Then I took a last look at the different families of paper dolls. Everyone was where we kids had left them before going to bed. Though I was with them only 2 hours ago, I still wanted to be with them. I had to resist because I was so sleepy.
What were they that I was concerned and mindful of them?
Nothing but my creation, which I had painstakingly taken time and resources to bring into existence.
If only they knew how much I loved them and did not want any harm to befall them. If only they were human and had life, I would have expected little from them – that they would tell me thank you for losing my sleep because of them, and to reciprocate this love I had for them. If only they knew I was concerned about them. All I wanted from them were words and acts of appreciation.
And when the elders of Israel heard that the Lord was concerned about them and had seen their misery, they bowed down and worshiped [Exodus 4:31b].
In this 2009, We Will Worship The Lord.
What is Worship ?
Worship in this context is homage rendered to God which is sinful (idolatry) if rendered to any created being; It is to honor God with extravagant love and extreme submission, as a lover; to adore God; to venerate (respect and hold in high regard).
But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit (with their heart) and in truth (reality). The Father is looking for those who will worship Him that way [John 4:23].
Worship involves not only praising and singing to God, but also a lifestyle of talking, listening and obeying His directives.
Why Worship God? Reasons and Benefits
1. God, our creator certainly deserves our worship. He is worthy of it, and due the honor.
2. When we worship Him, we adore His attributes. We marvel at His creation. We claim our commitment to Him. We admit that He is in control of our lives; and hence we profess our trust in Him.
3. Worship builds our relationship and intimacy with God. It is one of the ways to draw nearer to God.
4. When we worship, we get direction and inspiration, even for matters we thought had no solution.
5. Worship grows our faith and dependence on God. Hence it helps to replace our doubts with confidence and chase fear away.
6. Worship reminds us what our priorities should be, and helps us prioritize.
7. Worship helps to correct our attitudes helping us become more like Christ.
8. Worship leaves us renewed, energized, motivated and filled with peace and joy.
How to overcome distractions in Worship
There are some factors which hinder a smooth worship session. Some include sin, guilt, unforgiveness, laziness, worry over what we are going through, and not knowing the worth of worship. To overcome distractions in worship (especially for private not congregational worship), do the following before you begin:
1. Go to a place where you will not be distracted. Timing is also important here.
2. Play some nice worship music that could get you in the mood.
3. If you feel guilty of something, confess it to God and ask for forgiveness.
4. If you are going through a challenging situation, let Him know you cannot handle it on your own and you have cast the care upon Him.
5. Spend some time thinking about the things God has done for you or to those around you. Think about things you should be grateful to God for.
1. Definition of Worship
2. Praise the Lord – Benefits of Worship
3. For details on what worship is, how to worship God and the benefits, please visit here.
Have a blessed week ahead.